ExTiX 19.1.2 – Build 190102
I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 19.1.2 LXQt/Kodi Live DVD. (The previous LXQt version was 18.7 from 180723). The best thing with ExTiX 19.1.2 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. So easy that a ten year child can do it! As an alternative to LXQt you can run Kodi 18 Leia. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the LXQt Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. One other very good thing with this version of ExTiX is that it is very light. The ISO file is of only 1040 MB, which means that you can run the system superfast from RAM. When the boot process is ready you can eject the DVD or USB stick. Use Boot alternative 3 or Advanced options… >> load to RAM.
ExTiX 19.1.2 LXQt/Kodi DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.12.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. I have also installed Kodi 18 Leia with some addons already enabled. Most important Netflix, Plex and Amazon Video addons. NOTE: This ExTiX LXQt Build is for installation to UEFI-enabled computers. You shall use Refracta Installer for that.
The system language is ENGLISH.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 190102?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from a DVD or a USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say! Especially since the ISO file is of only 1040 MB!
3. ExTiX LXQt is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 190102.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix with kernel 4.20.0-exton. Kernel 4.20 is the latest kernel by 190102.
5. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installation program Ubiquity (live installer) with Refracta Installer. It works very well. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process and you’ll get a chance to change root’s password. Just start the installer from the menu under System.
6. The best thing with ExTiX 19.1.2 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
7. As an alternative to LXQt you can run Kodi 18 Leia. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the LXQt Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. NOTE: You can’t run Kodi as root. (You won’t have sound).
8. Nvidia proprietary Graphics driver 410.78 (patched for kernel 4.20) is pre-installed in ExTiX 19.1.2. It will be used automatically if your computer has support for it.
1. Kodi 18 running
2. ExTiX LXQt/Kodi – live’s Desktop
3. ExTiX LXQt/Kodi – root’s Desktop
4. Kodi 18 running – choosing Video addons
Kodi 18 in action – watch an animated GIF…
NEWS 181109 ABOUT Exton|OS with Budgie Desktop 10.4 and Refracta Snapshot
The Desktop Environment in this Exton|OS build is Budgie 10.4. (Budgie is focused on simplicity an elegance. Designed with the modern user in mind). Program content in Build 181109: Refracta Snapshot, Calamares 3.1.12, Firefox, Gimp, SMPlayer, SMTube, and GParted. Also all necessary additions in order to install programs from source. Calamares is an installer framework. By design it is very customizable, in order to satisfy a wide variety of needs and use cases. Kernel 4.20.0-rc1-exton (corresponding Kernel.org‘s latest kernel 4.20-rc1) is used. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as at November 9, 2018. Study the NEW PACKAGE list. Google Chrome has been removed since it’s now possible to use Netflix in Firefox. Using Refracta Snapshot you can change everything to your liking and create your own live installable Ubuntu system. I mean create your own installable Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Live DVD once you have installed Exton|OS to hard drive.
MOST IMPORTANT CHANGES IN BUILD 181109
This Exton|OS version is for non-efi computers, which means that you can use the Calamares Installer in VirtualBox/VMware and thus install Exton|OS in any language. You can even use Calamares for installation to a USB stick and that way get persistence. Please read my instruction before you perform such an installation. Calamares Installer replaces Ubiquity (Ubuntu’s installer). Calamares Installer is also very simple to use. No “expert knowledge” is needed.
WHAT’S NEW in kernel 4.20?
IMPORTANT ABOUT REFRACTA Snapshot
Refracta Snapshot is pre-installed in Exton|OS Build 181109. Use them to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. I mean create your own installable Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS Live DVD once you have installed Exton|OS to hard drive. I mean change everything and then create a whole new Ubuntu live system. Start Refracta from Applications >> System Tools >> Refracta Snapshot. You don’t even have to install Exton|OS to hard drive before you can use the Refracta tools. If you have plenty of RAM you can create a new (your own!) Ubuntu system while running Exton|OS from DVD or a USB stick. Please note that the whole Refracta process (creating your new ISO) will only take 15 – 40 min! You’ll find the ISO in /home/snapshots. (Or change that in /etc/refractasnapshot.conf). The whole thing is very simple.
Screenshot 1 – Exton|OS’s Budgie live Desktop
Screenshot 2 – Exton|OS’s Budgie root Desktop
Screenshot 3 – Exton|OS’s Budgie Desktop installing Spotify
Screenshot 4 – Exton|OS’s Budgie Desktop running Refracta Snapshot
Screenshot 5 – Exton|OS running in VMware
Screenshot 6 – showing how to add apps to Docky
NEWS about ExTiX 18.8 Deepin 180807
I’ve released a new version of ExTiX 18.8 Deepin today with Calamares 3.1.12 and kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix. Calamares is an installer framework. By design it is very customizable, in order to satisfy a wide variety of needs and use cases. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as of today. Study all installed packages in ExTiX Deepin Build 180807. ExTiX is based on Debian and Ubuntu 18.04.1.
About ExTiX 18.8 with the Deepin 15.5 Desktop
I’ve made a new extra version of ExTiX with Deepin 15.5 Desktop (made in China!). Deepin is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. Only a minimum of packages are installed in ExTiX Deepin. You can of course install all packages you want. Even while running ExTiX Deepin live. I.e. from a DVD or USB stick. Study all installed packages in ExTiX Deepin.
While running ExTiX Deepin 18.8 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta Tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. A ten year child can do it!
My special kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix+ corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 4.18-rc5. You can download “my” kernel if you want to use it another Ubuntu/Debian system. My kernel is patched so that you can install Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver if you like.
What’s new in Linux kernel 4.18?
1. ExTiX Deepin 15.5 Desktop
2. ExTiX Deepin being installed in VirtualBox using Refracta Installer
3. ExTiX Deepin running Refracta snapshot
4. ExTiX Deepin running in VMware
5. ExTiX Deepin running the Refracta Installer
6. ExTiX Deepin login screen (LightDM)
7. Movie showing how to enable Window effects
8. A small movie made with Deepin Screen Recorder