About SlackEX 14.2, 64 bit, Build 191007
Slackware is the first widely-used Linux system, which is still developing. Slackware has existed since 1993. In comparison with for example Ubuntu and Linux Mint, many people believe that Slackware is “difficult”. Any novice can quickly learn to use Ubuntu they say. My remaster of Slackware Current (14.2), which I call SlackEX 14.2/Current 64 bit Linux Live DVD, is however just as easy to use as Ubuntu and/or Linux Mint. Some tend to complain that the Program Management in Slackware is awkward. That was perhaps earlier the case, but not anymore. Now we have the Application Managers Slackpkg and GSlapt – a GTK version of slapt-get. They are a piece of cake to use! Users of Synaptic will feel at ease with GSlapt.
New features in version 191007 of SlackEX
I have replaced kernel 4.14.8-x86_64-efi-exton with kernel 5.3.0-exton so that Refracta Snapshot can be used. Using Refracta Snapshot you can change everything and create your very own Slackware system. Read more about Refracta below. Xfce 4 is used as Desktop environment. Furthermore I have installed Grub2, which can be used as boot loader (if you want) after a hard drive install using Refracta Installer. A lot of other Slackware packages are pre-installed. Study the full package LIST. Note: I have replaced Wicd with NetworkManager. It works better.
Watch Refracta Snapshot in action…
Slackware is grossly underestimated (in my opinion). This article give you ten (10) reasons to choose Slackware.
Screenshot 1 – root’s Desktop when Refracta Installer has started
Screenshot 2 – live’s Desktop with GSlapt running
Screenshot 3 – Refracta Snapshot has started
Screenshot 4 – Boot screen when running live
Screenshot 5 – Boot screen when running from hard drive
NEWS 190828 ABOUT ExTiX Deepin
I’ve released a new version of ExTiX Deepin today (190828). This ExTiX Build is based on Deepin 15.11 released by Deepin Technology 190719.
NEW FUNCTIONS etc:
1.You can run ExTiX from RAM. Use boot alternative 3 (load to RAM) or Advanced. A wonderful way to run Linux if you have enough RAM. Everything will be super fast. When ExTiX has booted up you can remove the DVD or USB stick.
2. You will have the opportunity to choose language before you enter the Deepin 15.11 Desktop. All main languages are supported.
3. I have replaced Deepin Installer with the Reborn version of Deepin Installer. Better in every way.
4. I have replaced kernel 5.0.8-extix with kernel 5.3.0-rc6-exton. Kernel 5.3.0-rc6 was released 190826.
5. Spotify and Skype are pre-installed.
6. You can watch Netflix while running Google Chrome.
NEWS 190828 ABOUT ExTiX Deepin 19.8
I’ve released a new version of ExTiX Deepin today with Refracta Snapshot and kernel 5.3.0-rc6-exton. Deepin 15.11 (latest version released 190719) is made in China. Deepin is devoted to providing a beautiful, easy to use, safe and reliable system for global users. Previous versions of ExTiX Deepin were based on Debian and Ubuntu. ExTiX 19.8 is a live build of Deepin 15.11, which is based on Debian unstable. All packages have been updated to the latest available version as of today. Study all installed packages in ExTiX Deepin 19.8 Build 190828. So ExTiX 19.8 is based on Deepin 15.11 and Debian unstable. I may add that there is no other live version of Deepin 15.11 (as far as I know).
ExTiX Deepin 19.8 replaces ExTiX 19.4.
The Ultimate Linux System
I’ve called my different versions of ExTiX The Ultimate Linux System for many years by now. As regards ExTiX 19.8 Deepin I feel it’s especially justified. Everything just works.
While running ExTiX Deepin 19.8 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Deepin/Debian system. A ten year child can do it!
My special kernel 5.3.0-rc6-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s latest kernel 5.3.0-rc6 released 190826.
What’s new in Linux kernel 5.3?
1. ExTiX Deepin 15.11 Desktop
2. ExTiX Deepin being installed in VirtualBox using Refracta Installer
3. The installation in VirtualBox is completed
3. ExTiX Deepin login screen (LightDM)
4. Movie showing how to enable Window effects
I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 18.7 LXQt Live DVD. (The previous version was 18.4 from 180419).
ExTiX 18.7 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian 9 Stretch and Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.12.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
The system language is ENGLISH.
My special kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix corresponding Kernel.org’s unstable kernel 4.18-rc5.
What’s new in kernel 4.18?
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 18.7 Build 180723 with the LXQt Desktop environment
1. ExTiX LXQt is based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver. LXQt 0.12.0 is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 180723. Kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.18-rc5).
2. Firefox has replaced Google Chrome as Web Browser. It’s now possible to watch Netflix movies also in Firefox (while running Linux).
3. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installer Ubiquity with Calamares Installer. Calamares is an installer framework. By design it is very customizable, in order to satisfy a wide variety of needs and use cases.
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 180723?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 4 (Load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 180723.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.16.2-exton with kernel 4.18.0-rc5-extix (Kernel.org‘s unstable kernel 4.18-rc5). “My” kernel is patched so that you can install Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver if you like.
Screenshot of ExTiX 18.7 Desktop – LXQt 0.12.0
Netflix running in ExTiX 18.7
Refracta tools running while logged in as user live
Connections to Windows computers via PCManFM-qt using Samba
ExTiX running in VMware
ExTiX running in VirtualBox
About Linux For All (LFA) Build 180504
The system is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Debian. It’s a total rebuild. I.e. nothing is left of the old LFA system.
NEWS ABOUT LFA Build 180504
1. This is a very BIG system (2020MB). All packages the ordinary Linux user can wish for are pre-installed. Study the full packages list.
2. Kernel 4.15.0-19-exton is used.
3. I have installed Nvidia’s latest proprietary graphics driver 390.48.
4. The Desktop environment is LXDE – Designed to be user friendly and slim, while keeping the resource usage low.
5. The main Web Browser is Google Chrome. So you can watch Netflix!
6. I have included Refracta tools (Refracta Snapshot) to make it possible for you to create your own installable Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Live DVD once you have installed LFA to hard drive. This is done in the easiest possible way!
7. Use TeamViewer (pre-installed) to control your Windows computers from LFA. Or control LFA from your Windows computers.
Use TeamViewer (pre-installed) to control your Windows computers from LFA. Or control LFA from your Windows computers.
Screenshot 1 – LFA “running” Windows 10
Screenshot 2 – Windows 10 “running” LFA
Screenshot 1 – LFA “running” Windows 10 with TeamViewer
Screenshot 2 – Windows 10 “running” LFA with TeamViewer
Screenshot 3 – LFA running in VMware
Screenshot 4 – LFA running in VirtualBox
Screenshot 5 – Refracta Installer and Grub/efi
Screenshot 6 – LFA running Samba to reach Windows computers
Screenshot 7 – LFA running Google Chrome and Netflix
NEWS 180219 about DebEX Budgie – a Refracta Build
A new version of DebEX Barebone with Budgie Desktop 10.4 and kernel 4.15.4-exton (equivalent to Kernel.org’s latest kernel 4.15.4) is ready. All packages have been updated to the latest version as of February 19, 2018. DebEX Barebone is now based on Debian unstable/experimental. I.e. cutting edge software is used. Most important: The ISO has decreased from 1330 MB to 899 MB, which makes it easier to run the system live from RAM. That ability allows DebEX Budgie to be very fast, since reading and writing data from/to RAM is much faster than from a hard disk drive.
Important about Refracta
You can use the Refracta tools (pre-installed in all three versions of DebEX) to create your own installable Debian Live DVD once you have installed DebEX to hard drive. I mean change everything and then create a whole new Debian live system. When you start Refracta it will look like this. You don’t even have to install DebEX to hard drive before you can use the Refracta tools. If you have plenty of RAM you can create a new (your own!) Debian system while running DebEX from DVD or a USB stick. Please note that the whole Refracta process (creating your new ISO) will only take 10 – 50 min! You’ll find the ISO in /home/debex.
1. The Budgie Desktop when logged in as the ordinary user user
2. The Budgie Desktop when logged in as root
3. The Budgie Desktop when Refracta snapshot is running
About DebEX Barebone, DebEX Gnome and DebEX KDE Linux 64 bit
All three systems/distributions are a based on Debian. DebEX KDE is based on Debian Jessie (Debian 8). DebEX Barebone and DebEX Gnome are based on Debian 9 (Stretch) and Debian unstable (Sid). LXDE is used as Desktop environment in DebEX Barebone. Gnome 3.22 and Mate 1.16 are used in DebEX Gnome. KDE 4.14.2 and KDE Plasma Desktop 5:84 are used in DebEX KDE. DebEX Barebone LXDE uses my special kernel 4.12.0-12-exton. (Kernel 4.12.8 – latest stable kernel). DebEX Gnome uses my special kernel 4.8.0-21-exton. (Kernel 4.8). DebEX KDE uses my special kernel 4.8.0-18-exton. (Kernel 4.8-rc8). The system language is English (in all three versions of DebEX).
NEWS 170822 about DebEX LXDE – a Refracta Build
A new version of DebEX Barebone with LXDE and kernel 4.12.0-12-exton (equivalent to Kernel.org’s latest stable kernel 4.12.8) is ready. All packages have been updated to the latest version as of August 22, 2017. DebEX Barebone is now based on Debian 9 Stretch and Debian unstable – Sid. I have replaced Google Chrome with Firefox 55.0.2 (for Netflix).
What’s new in kernel 4.12?
Important about Refracta
You can use the Refracta tools (pre-installed in DebEX LXDE) to create your own installable Debian Stretch Live DVD once you have installed DebEX LXDE to hard drive. I mean change everything and then create a whole new Debian Stretch live system. When you start Refracta it will look like this. You don’t even have to install DebEX to hard drive before you can use the Refracta tools. If you have plenty of RAM you can create a new (your own!) Debian 9 system while running DebEX from DVD or a USB stick. Please note that the whole Refracta process (creating your new ISO) will only take 5 – 10 min! You’ll find the ISO in /home/snapshots.
1. The Boot menu in DebEX LXDE created with the Refracta tools
2. The LXDE Desktop in DebEX Barebone LXDE
3. Netflix is running in Firefox
4. DebEX is running in VirtualBox
5. DebEX is running in VMware
About ExTiX 17.7 with the Budgie Desktop
I’ve made a new extra version of ExTiX with Budgie Desktop. Budgie is focused on simplicity and elegance. Designed with the modern user in mind. Only a minimum of packages are installed in ExTiX Budgie. You can of course install all packages you want. Even while running ExTiX Budgie live. I.e. from a DVD or USB stick. Study all installed packages in ExTiX Budgie.
While running ExTiX Budgie 17.7 live or from hard drive you can use Refracta Tools (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
ExTiX Budgie Desktop – live
ExTiX Budgie Desktop – root
ExTiX running in VMware