NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 15.1.1 KDE build 150221
In this new extra version/build I have replaced Unity/Ubuntu with KDE 4.14.4 (latest) and KDE Frameworks 5.7.0. KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. All common KDE packages are installed- packages LIST. I have added LibreOffice (the whole suite), Google Chrome (to make it possible to watch Netflix movies), Samba (so you can reach your Windows shares) and GCC and other compilation tools (so that you can install packages from source). Kernel 3.19.0-5-exton is used.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially version 150221 and 150205?
1. The ExTiX ISO is a ISO-hybrid, which means that it can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems. Read my INSTRUCTION how to use the scripts.
2. Another big improvement is that ExTiX can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest versions by 150221 and 150205.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 3.16.0-21-exton with kernel 3.19.0-5-exton and 3.18.0-10-exton ( stable kernel 3.19.0/3.18.3).
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.